On the plus side of things, the study found:
- More people seem to be aware of home energy efficiency issues, with 23% rating their home as ‘inefficient’ – up significantly from 14% last year.
- Americans are more aware than in previous years that their homes need energy efficient improvements.
- 53% would choose to make their homes more energy efficient than more comfortable or beautiful (although we believe if your home is more efficient, you will be more comfortable!).
“Overall, activity still lags and consumers continue to prioritize the wrong things.”
- Most homeowners think they need to replace their hot water heater or install a new, high efficiency HVAC (unfortunately, this shows most homeowners are still guessing on their improvements, and in fact, our experience shows these are not the top energy improvements most homes need first).
- Awareness regarding energy efficiency programs remains low.
Overall, I'd agree with the report. We frequently visit homes where owners incorrectly diagnose the problem, spend thousands of dollars on upgrades, and do not have the results they had hoped for. This is where an audit can help! By allowing a company like Pro Energy to listen to your pain(s), analyze your house and identify/prioritize problems and solutions, a consultant can save you money and help you get results! To learn more, you can visit our website: www.proenergyconsultants.com.
To read the Executive Summary from Shelton Group with these stats and more, Click Here.